Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2011 New Year's Career Search Resolutions

I will use December to get “into gear” regarding my career search with these resolutions:

1) I will ensure that my resume is current, two pages in length, proof-read, with a two-three line powerful summary statement at the top of the first page. I will ensure that my bio is current, interesting to read and would cause someone to want to meet me.

3) I will ensure my 60-second "elevator speech" is current and as interesting as my bio. I will practice delivering it until it is second-nature.

4) I will re-contact my references (three supervisors, three peers, three subordinates) to update them on my search status, remind them of my key strengths and thank them for being willing to act as a reference. I will avoid over-using my references and thank them when I “land”.

5) I will create or re-energize my support network and meet them and new contacts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

6) I will create a CRM program (www.freecrm.com) and keep a careful record of all contacts that I have ever met that are pertinent to my search. I will follow-up on all opportunities with alacrity and energy.

7) I will consider working with an executive career coach and taking some assessments to sharpen my sense of my professional profile, interests, skills, and needs. This step will help me clarify my search objectives and create an effective and vital search action plan that will result in the right position for me (I will "look for work, not just a job").

8) I will draw a 40-mile circle around my home and identify all the companies in that circle where I would like to work. I will learn all that I can via the internet and contacts about how their business could benefit from my expertise, skills and interests. I will contact the most likely executives, including board members, to establish relationships that might lead to consulting or employment.

9) I will consider obtaining presentation skills and interviewing training to sharpen my presence and confidence in interviews. I will prepare for the wide range of questions that I will be asked. I will be expert in how to interview effectively by phone and in person.

10) I will dedicate a specific amount of time each week, ideally the same days and times, to my search. I will treat my search as seriously as I do (did) my job.

11) If I am not working, I will find a part-time job that keeps me feeling active, pays something and is consistent in some way with my career objectives if possible.

12) I will keep my family, friends and support group current regarding my search and I will enlist their support and love to keep me energized and focused.

13) Once I land that next consulting or full-time employment, I will keep doing all of the above to be well-prepared for the next “work interruption”.

No comments:

Post a Comment